Joy is one of hardest feelings to hold onto, isn’t it? Fear is always crouching nearby ready to snatch it from us.
In Daring Greatly Brené Brown talks about “foreboding joy,” the idea that some sort of disaster looms just around the corner no matter how promising things look for the moment. Instead of experiencing joy, even when things are going well, we feel worry, fear, and dread.
I think this reality is especially problematic when it comes to setting goals for the future. We’re afraid—afraid we’ll fail or that others will fail us. It’s safer not to get our hopes up.
The end result is that we’re rarely disappointed. But at what cost? Brown’s research would say that the cost is joy, happiness, fulfillment, satisfaction, and a wholehearted life.
Is that true for you? It’s sometimes true for me. I can’t count the number of times I’ve let worry and dread steal my joy.
What if You Could Kick Fear to the Curb?
Whenever I let fear do the talking, hope always loses the argument. But what if we could gag our fears long enough to dream, and then a little longer to turn those dreams into actionable goals that might actually change our lives for the better?
Think about your family, your finances, your health, your career, or that dream you locked away months or even years ago because it felt too remote, too impossible. What could happen if you could build a plan, starting right now, that was proven to move the needle in the areas of your life that matter most?
Here’s what I know from years of coaching others and my own personal experience: The key reason most of us feel this sense of fear when it comes to goal-setting is that we’ve tried before and failed.
But here’s something else I know: It’s not your fault. It’s the fault of a faulty system. The truth is that traditional New Year’s resolutions and goal setting don’t really work.
5 Days to Your Best Year Ever
That’s why I’ve created 5 Days to Your Best Year Ever, a proven and powerful goal-setting process that helps you kick fear to the curb, reconnect with your dreams, and finally realize your potential.
And it does a lot more, too. In 5 Days To Your Best Year Ever I reveal how to:
- Get crystal clear about what you want in the next twelve months and how you’re going to get there.
- Confront doubt and see the real possibility of breakthrough in your personal and professional life.
- Close the door on the nagging, negative feelings from the past so you can set yourself up for success in the present.
- Take the mystery out of setting effective, reasonable, and achievable goals.
- Connect with your why so you can tap reserves of emotional energy and motivation when things get difficult and conquer the “messy middle” once and for all.
- Finally beat worry, procrastination, and that horrible feeling we all experience of being overwhelmed or simply not enough.
– Michael Hyatt
In the next article I will show you Michael Hyatt`s plan you can use for 2015.
- First board meeting for EMCC Norway
- General Assembly EMCC Norway
- Merry Merry Mentoring Christmas
- Starting a new program
- New year, new opportunities and applications
- Mentoring program at the university in Stavanger Norway
- Big problem with my page
- Success Takes Time and Hard Work—Follow These 5 Steps to Stick With It to the End
- Best Mentoring Blog
- Best Mentoring Blog 2011
- Best Mentoring Blog 2012
- Best Mentoring Blog 2013
- Best Mentoring Blog 2014
- Books I recommend
- European Mentoring & Coaching Council
- Guest Blogger
- Leadership Challenge
- Leadership development
- Mentoring Programs
- Mentoring tools
- Personal development
- Personal Planning
- Setting goals
- Start Ups
- Tips from linkedin.com