(In the 2008 eddition it´s called: The law of the Picture)
– People Do What People See
(DAY 13 – The 21 Day Leadership Challenge)
Leaders create followers. Great leaders create other leaders. Start being a leadership mentor to someone today.
Dig into it:
- When leaders show the way with their right actions, their followers copy their good example and succeed.
- Great leaders are both highly visionary and highly practical. Their vision helps them see beyond the immediate. They can envision what’s coming and what must be done. Leaders possess an understanding how:
* Mission provides purpose – answering the question, Why?
* Vision provides a picture – answering the question, What?
* Strategy provides a plan – answering the question, How?
- As author Hans Finzel observed, “Leaders are paid to be dreamers. The higher you go in leadership, the more your work is about the future.”
- As you strive to become a better example to your followers, remember these things.
a) Followers Are Always Watching What You Do – Just as children watch their parents and emulate their behavior, so do employees watch their bosses. If the boss comes in late, then employees feel they can too. Nothing is more convincing than living out what you say you believe.
b) It’s Easier to Teach What’s Right Than to Do What’s Right – Nothing is more convincing than people who give good advice and set a good example.
c) We Should Work on Changing Ourselves Before Trying to Improve Others – A great danger to good leadership is the temptation to try to change others without first making changes to yourself. To remain a credible leader, you must always work first, hardest and longest on changing yourself; this is essential. If we work on improving ourselves our primary mission, then others are more likely to follow.
d) The Most Valuable Gift a Leader Can Give Is Being a Good Example – More than anything else, employees want leaders whose beliefs and actions line up. Leadership is more caught than taught. How does one “catch” leadership? By watching good leaders in action.
- Best Mentoring Blog
- Best Mentoring Blog 2011
- Best Mentoring Blog 2012
- Best Mentoring Blog 2013
- Best Mentoring Blog 2014
- Books I recommend
- European Mentoring & Coaching Council
- Guest Blogger
- Leadership Challenge
- Leadership development
- Mentoring Programs
- Mentoring tools
- Personal development
- Personal Planning
- Setting goals
- Start Ups
- Tips from linkedin.com